Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Wednesday 25 July 2012

Taking issue

For those that haven't noticed I have a side bar on the blog template that lists some pet 'hates'.  To be honest they are not so much 'hates' as dislikes or irritants but pet irritant, or pet dislike didn't have the same ring...

Anyway, one of them is;
People that crudely categorise others by the newspaper they read

A couple of days ago I received a comment from Sarah taking issue with my pet hate.  The comment ended up in my spam filter and when I tried to remove/retrieve it, I lost it.   So apologies for this rather unorthodox way of replying.

Sarah's comment/question.

Re. your pet hate no. 12...
Surely newspaper choice is an excellent guide to an individuals views/political outlook/level of interest in celebrities.  Why would anyone read a newspaper they disagreed with or didn't enjoy?

My reply..
Newspaper readership may well be indicative of peoples outlook/views on life but there are any number of reasons why someone would choose a particular paper to read or browse.  People will buy a paper for the sports section or the racing tips  or even the crossword but never read the editorial or give any credence the political stance of the paper.  Associating their political outlook therefore with that of the paper would not be very sophisticated would it?  So no, I don't accept that newspaper choice is an excellent guide at all, but an indicator maybe..
I have also noticed that people that tend to use newspaper choice to categorise sections of society have a tendency to couch it in a rather sneering, derogatory fashion, perhaps you have noticed that also?   Statements like.. "Typical  Daily Mail, Torygraph (Telegraph) or Grauniad (Guardian) readers.."  There seems to be some snobbery or inverted snobbery at play and I think it says far more about the writer/speaker than about the readership of any newspaper.

What do others think??




16 comments:

  1. Hi Lesley

    Everybody knows that those who run the country read the Times. Those who think they run the country read the Gaurdian and those who read the Sun don't care who runs the country as long as they have big KN*****S Ha Ha

    Andrew
    WB Cinnamon Girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see you have fully embraced political correctness Andrew..
      Very funny.
      Lesley

      Delete
  2. We do not read any newspapers, so what does that say about us LOL.
    I do not think it matters what you read. I am not into judging books by their covers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always risky categorising people by just one characteristic, I reckon, whether that's the paper they read, the colour of their skin or the boat that they own. But paper choice does give some clue as to political bias, probably.

    BTW, what do you mean, politicians that don't give straight answers to questions? Shouldn't that just be politicians?

    ;-}}}

    Cheers

    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bruce
      There are but a handful of MP's who do seem to answer without the communication 'messages and soundbites' smattering everything they say.
      Vince Cable is one who comes to mind straight away.
      Lesley

      Delete
  4. I think you sound like a typical Daily Mail reader... ;-)

    Abby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ho bloody Ho!
      Thank you dear Abby, wait until I see you on Sunday...
      X Lesley

      Delete
    2. You might like this:

      This week's Daily Mail Cancer List:
      Mon) Tea
      Tue) Socks
      Wed) Fungus
      Thu) Mice
      Fri) Symmetry
      Sat) New car smell
      Sun) The decimal point

      (courtesy of @DMReporter on Twitter)

      Abby

      Delete
  5. what an excellent reply! I used to get the NoW off my neighbour because she knew I liked crosswords, when we moved we missed that crossword moment so started to buy for ourselves, sometimes read sometimes not.
    Having said that I wouldnt allow the sun over the doorstep but that was due to hillsborough, unforgiveable reporting and we stopped the NoW after the millie dowler fiasco and felt it only right that it folded, this is my opinion and I uphold everyones right to their opinions so bl**dy good on you, Candy (on the cut from friday wahey!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Candy
      Hoping you enjoy your time on the cut..
      Thank you
      Lesley

      Delete
  6. What I find amusing about the UK rags is that whatever the story is about there is always a mention of the house they live in and how much it is worth, plus the type and value of the car they drive! Long live the class system....I nearly wet myself the other day when I was reading an unnamed narrow boaters blog where she described herself as coming from a middle class back ground! I am very happy to say I have no class!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be fair Paul 'class' is not what it used to be in the UK but I guess the labels still exist.
      Have you caught the programme on Tuesday evenings on the BBC called 'Turn back Time' if not it is worth watching on iplayer.
      You seem to be thoroughly enjoying the new life..good decision then?
      X Lesley

      Delete
    2. I did a what class are you quiz in the Sun newspaper in the late 70, I turned out to be affluent working class...I was gutted I thought I was middle class :-)
      Yep loving it, winter will be the real test though. We still don't think the boaty part will be long term, probably a couple of years then maybe a nice camper to see the rest of UK plus Europe.
      Take Care
      Paul x

      Delete
  7. I know someone just a few boats away who buys the Mirror but only the Saturday issue for the puzzle page and tv guide - nothing wrong in that is there?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carol
      Just goes to show that newspapers are read/chosen for any number of reasons and are not a label on which to hang anyone..
      take care
      Lesley

      Delete

Your comments are welcome, I love to read them and I try to respond to each but regretfully I will no longer accept comments from Anonymous.